CPR is a life-saving technique that everyone should know. A properly executed CPR on a cardiac arrest victim can significantly increase their chances of survival without further damage to the vital organs.
CPR Education should be implemented in all of the pores of society, and that is why we open this discussion in the following text about Joining the CPR Movement: Making Charleston a Safer Place to Live. We will talk about the importance of CPR in Charleston, how it can help its citizens, the key points for effective CPR, and how one city can benefit from CPR education.
Why CPR is Important
CPR is a skill that everyone should know and practice. Taking a CPR course can significantly increase an SCA victim’s chances of survival and protect against further damage to their health. That being said, in the following section, we will discuss why CPR is so important in cases of emergency.
There is no doubt that a person who can properly administer the CPR technique can save a life. Sudden cardiac arrest or other health problems can happen anywhere, and having someone who knows how to help can make a huge difference. Citizens who know CPR can keep the person alive until the professionals arrive, especially if it happens in a place outside of medical surveillance. Bystrander CPR can double or triple the chances of a victim’s survival.
CPR Guards Against Brain Damage
In the event of a cardiac arrest, the heart stops circulating blood to the major organs, including the brain. This reduced blood supply to the brain leads to a loss of consciousness in the affected person. Even for a short period of three minutes, an inadequate blood supply can result in serious brain damage. Once the brain has gone without blood for approximately nine minutes, the resulting damage becomes irreversible. That’s why prompt CPR is crucial in maintaining blood circulation, potentially avoiding long-term damage and even death.
Know How to Handle an Emergency Situation
Around 37% of SCA situations are witnessed by bystanders. Life is unpredictable, and living in a busy city like Charleston, you might be a bystander who will need to help a cardiac arrest victim. Proper CPR training equips you with the information, assurance, and abilities to respond to critical situations during a medical crisis and assist someone in need. Those with CPR certification positively impact their community by immediately and adequately responding to cardiac emergencies wherever they occur.
Time is of the Essence During an Urgency
In any medical emergency, each passing moment is extremely important. Individuals facing sudden cardiac arrest need immediate CPR to prevent the negative consequences of insufficient blood circulation to vital organs. Engaging in immediate CPR can enhance the likelihood of the affected person’s survival.
Better and Faster Recovery
It is a fact that a person who experienced an SCA and had proper CPR has a better chance of survival. As we said before, CPR helps to prevent further damage to the vital organs and with that, the victim will have an easier and faster recovery. CPR-certified individuals can save people’s lives and decrease the side effects of SCA.
According to statistics, 73.9% of SCAs happen at home. Unfortunately, not many family members have proper CPR education to help their closest ones in such a critical situation. Due to the lack of CPR education, many cases end fatally until the emergency service arrives.
CPR Improves Safety in the Workplace
CPR-trained individuals at a workplace can significantly increase the survival chances of people experiencing SCA. Besides workplaces where CPR training is mandatory, it should be a top priority for any business and organization, regardless of the nature of their work. That way, workplaces can ensure a safer and more secure environment and show commitment to the well-being and health of their employees.
CPR Education in Schools
CPR education in schools is highly important for the well-being of everyone and for preventing risks. A big portion of the population in Charleston is in school, and with that, the need to get CPR certified is bigger. According to the law, in order to graduate from High School in Charleston, South Carolina, students must have a CPR Certificate. This is a great practice that many states should follow. Also, to increase the survival rates and prepare students for emergencies, it would be nice if it’s mandatory for every student, not just for high school graduates.
How CPR Can Make a City Better Place
Many things contribute to the safety and security of the city. One of them is learning CPR techniques and helping people in critical situations. CPR skills have a positive impact on many things, such as:
- Awareness and Education: The CPR movement encourages people and communities to be informed about potential risks in their areas and become more aware of the benefits of CPR education.
- Emergency Planning: Through CPR education, cities are motivated to develop efficient emergency plans that outline protocols for various types of critical situations and crises.
- Timely Response: If most of the citizens in Charleston had CPR training, then the chances are bigger for bystanders to immediately help the victim in case of an emergency. The timely response also depends on the placement of AEDs. When AEDs are properly installed in key points in the city, it would be easier for those who perform CPR to help efficiently.
- Better Infrastructure: Cities that praise the CPR’s importance will allocate the necessary resources more effectively. This involves planning better infrastructure and a better approach in the streets and public areas, ensuring that the victim will be in the hands of medical professionals in a few minutes.
- Collaboration: Cities that promote CPR education will positively influence local businesses, organizations, and non-profit agencies to collaborate for a better future for the citizens and implement strategies that will keep people safe and secure.
- Psychological Preparedness: Being prepared for emergencies can reduce stress, fear, and panic in critical situations. This can help people respond efficiently when a victim is experiencing SCA.
- Improved Communication: Effective communication is key when people are facing an emergency situation. With proper communication, bystanders can coordinate with each other better, provide first help to the victims, and call the medical professionals.
- Safeguarding Vulnerable Populations: Implementing and increasing the awareness of CPR in all aspects of people’s lives can significantly improve the safety of the vulnerable population in Charleston. Voulnabrle people such as older people, children, and the disabled should be protected at all costs.
- Preventive Protocol Measures: Part of the city’s job is to be prepared for emergency situations by identifying ways to prevent worst-case scenarios and minimize their impact. CPR initiatives through proper campaigns can raise awareness and increase the survival rate.
The Importance of AEDs
When talking about the importance of CPR, we can’t escape from the fact that AEDs also have a crucial role in saving people’s lives. Having AEDs strategically placed in Charleston can increase the survival rates because bystanders will have the opportunity to use the help of AEDs until the medical professionals arrive.
SCA can happen anywhere, and the only thing we can do as a society is to improve CPR education and place the AEDs in the best spots. If AEDs are positioned properly and in the key points in the public areas, those who help can find them faster and use them. Because every second counts in critical situations, AEDs will truly add to the positive outcome of the emergency.
Places to install AEDs:
- Public Buildings – city halls, libraries, sport centers, administrative offices.
- Parks and Recreational Areas – parks, sports fields, and recreational facilities.
- Shopping Centers
- Public Transportation Hubs – bus terminals, train stations, and subway stations.
- Tourist Attractions -High-traffic tourist spots like museums, art galleries, and historical landmarks.
- Restaurants and Cafes
- Educational Institutions – Schools, colleges, and universities.
- Gyms and Sports Facilities – fitness centers, sports arenas, and gyms.
- Libraries and Cultural Centers
- Transportation Vehicles – busses and subways.
- Government Buildings – government offices, administrative buildings, and courthouses.
- Community Centers – local community centers or halls.
- Outdoor Events – festivals, concerts, and other outdoor events.
- Senior Centers
Final Thoughts on Joining the CPR Movement: Making Charleston a Safer Place to Live
In the journey to creating a better future for the citizens of Charleston, CPR training and education will tremendously increase the chances of surviving for those who experience SCA. Working on the awareness of the importance of CPR will add to this fact and make the city a better place to live. As we live in a busy environment, focusing on the safety and security of the city is the key to a better life.